- Horses Rescued by Zach
- About Ann
- *VIEW HORSES*
- Wish List
- Latest News
- Mission Statement
- Broken Links
- Jack – Adopted
- Mea Ola’s Storefront
- Contact Us
- Mea Ola
- Big Red
- Hank, Jr.
- Horse Sponsorship
- SUCCESS STORIES
- Board of Directors
- RAINBOW BRIDGE
You are invited to a virtual baby shower. Actually two showers for our two rescued pregnant mares.
If you wish to “attend,” you can select a gift for baby (or mom) by donating that amount (giant yellow Donate button directly to your left). Be sure to let us know which gift your donation is for. As gifts are received, they will be struckover.
Foaling shower items:
2 Swann security cameras with 60 ft. cords ($100 each) 2 donated
OSB board x8 (we have 20, need 8 more) $10 each
30 Rubber stall mats (4′x6′) x $20
Timothy hay ($26 a bale) 1 bale donated
Alfalfa Hay ($15.50 a bale)
Sacate Thoroughbred Pellets ($16.50 for 80 lb. bag) 1 donated
Renew Gold ($30 a bag)
Straw ($8 a bale) 2 donated
Shavings ($10 a bag)
2- 3-gallon feeding buckets ($15 each)
2 1-gallon feeding buckets ($10 each)
3 12′ Pipe panels for turn outs ($75 each)
2 24′ Pipe panels for turn outs ($125 each)
2 horse-sized leather halters ($40 each)
1 foal-sized leather halter ($25)
2 weanling-sized halters ($25)
4 lead ropes ($12 each)
10 4″ Vet wrap (although I am not sure I will be able to wrap their tails) ($4 each)
Donations for vet care (sorely needed!) can be made in person, over the phone, or by check to:
Desert Mountain Veterinary
655 Hwy 138 Pinon Hills, CA
760-868-2418 (For Mea Ola’s Place account)
We will need 12 hr IGG tests on both foals, possibly plasma for foals, vaccines, mare checks, etc. Our vet bills could total $600-$700. This is without any emergencies.
Yesterday, two of those mares were delivered to Mea Ola’s Place.
These girls were in atrocious condition, dirty and starved. They are frightened and untrusting.
Barbara’s Gardenia, aka “Babs” is the dun and MOP’s Matilda, aka “Tilly” is a roan. They have NO idea what a carrot, treat, or even their soaked pellets are.
Tilly, the red roan, is estimated to be only three years old. Most likely a maiden then. Her bag is tighter than Babs’ and nipples starting to point out. She is not as insecure as Babs. Babs has a nice-sized bag and large nipples. No doubt she has been there, done this.
With loving care and healthy food, they will learn what love is and beome happy, healthy, and trusting as they, and their foals, have a second chance at life.
Thank you to Red Bucket for entrusting us with their care.
Please consider donating towards their care.
This is the sticker we are selling for the low, low price of $9. You can attach it to your car window or any other window of your choosing.
It is 4.8″ x 4.8″ and is designed to stick on the outside of the glass as inside ones tend to disappear on today’s tinted windows (yes, I found that out the hard way!)
Whether you have a Bugatti Super Sport or a Prius, a Lamborghini or a Hyundai , a Ferrari or a Ford, this sticker will look smart and identify you as the MOP fan that we all know you are!
Paypal or checks will be accepted. Send check made out to Mea Ola’s Place to P.O. Box 2376, Tehachapi, CA 93581. For Paypal, click on the Donate button to the left.
Don’t forget to check your state’s sticker laws HERE.
January 6, 2013 marks one year since the rescue effort began for over 20 horses at Kern County Animal Control who were scheduled for auction. That, subsequently, would have meant certain death by slaughter for many of them.
This effort was named “Operation Horse Rescue” and was the effort of many volunteers and several fosters that came together when a dog rescue (non-profit 501c3) learned of the plight of the horses and took action. I was one of the volunteers and a foster for 6 of the initial rescues.
“Operation Horse Rescue” was covered by several media outlets and that helped to raise awareness of the situation, which helped get some additional horses adopted by the public following the initial rescue of 11 of them on January 6th. The concern and attention for those horses left behind soon waned and by the middle of February, OHR had rescued every remaining horse in danger of being auctioned for a total of 19. (One horse was pregnant so that number is now 20 lives saved.)
We at OHR had a lot of work ahead of us. Every horse was evaluated and received the necessary medical treatment needed: teeth floating, pregnancy checks, x-rays, hoof abscesses, vaccines, dewormings, Body Condition Scored, etc. There were several seniors who needed special care and supplements. We had 2 horses with a BCS of 1 and three horses at 2, a few were 3’s and 4’s. We had only 2 horses at a 5. Next came trust-building and rehabilitation. Five of the 1/6/12 rescues were adopted almost right away to someone who had evaluated them originally at Animal Control with the plan to train and re-sell them. Those five were the youngest and healthiest ones who had the potential to find a forever home very quickly. The remaining 14 were split between 4 foster homes. I had 7 of them, including the pregnant mare who was already lame on both front feet and almost impossible to work with. She was given her name by my teen-age girls, Mea Ola, which is Hawaiian for “Survivor.”
All of the horses had very sad stories, but probably the most heartbreaking story, was of two that we rescued: Billy and Theresa. They, along with Billy’s mother, had been abandoned in a yard with two large dogs for an unknown period of time. At the time, Billy was only 3 months old. By the time Animal Control was called in, Billy’s mother had starved to death. Billy and Theresa had been attacked by the dogs, who were also starving. They had eaten 1/3 of Billy’s tail and completely degloved it. Theresa was skin and bones, but had made milk to keep Billy alive! She had also been attacked by the dogs and her right rear leg was infected and mangled. I gave her the name after Mother Theresa because all I could think about when I saw her was how she had sacrificed so much for Billy and he wasn’t even hers.
Theresa and Billy spent the first 6 weeks at a veterinary hospital receiving treatment before being rescued by OHR. They have both since been adopted, but it was found that Theresa suffered from a bone infection because of her wounds and has had to have extensive veterinary care and surgery since being adopted. She will never be able to be ridden again, but the folks who adopted her love her and she serves as a companion to their riding horse.
As time went on and funding slowed down and then disappeared, the other fosters wanted out. Let’s face it, added horses, especially ones requiring special care and diets, are expensive and a LOT of work. By the end of April, I was the only foster left, with now a total of 22 horses on my property to take care of (including my own) AND a now FOUNDERING pregnant rescue mare, who required round the clock checks and treatments. Her meals were split into 6 feedings for a 24 hour period. I didn’t sleep a full night for 8 weeks. I had put her on camera, live streaming on the internet, so that I could have help watching her as we did not know her actual due date. Our vets had recommended against palpating her because they thought she was further along in pregnancy than she was. Waiting for that foal was the longest time in my life! We had Mea Ola x-rayed and she had not rotated when the initial laminitis started. She had a series of special shoes and farrier care, diet change, anti-inflammatories. We even tried acupuncture. She had to be sedated for any hoof or veterinary work because she was just so untrusting and quite the fighter. She became the center of my life to get her through the pregnancy and it paid off. On May 14, 2012, she delivered a healthy filly with the support of people around the world and today she is laminitis free, as it was all related to pregnancy. We did discover that she has low ringbone that is not fused yet, and she takes medication to keep her comfortable. But today she can be spotted occasionally running and bucking with her filly.
So when OHR was dissolved, leaving 10 horses left to find homes for, I decided to keep my commitment that I made on January 6, 2012. I committed to finding or providing homes for these horses, even though in the beginning it was under a completely different pretext. This meant venturing out alone and starting from scratch.
I acquired a DBA in June and finally, in November, became a non-profit corporation and am still working on the paperwork to be submitted to the IRS for tax-exempt status. My plan is to be able to use the ones waiting for forever homes and some that may need to be permanent residents, to work as therapy horses for those with emotional disorders. My heart and dream is to use them with children in the foster care system. When we are on our feet financially, we can save more equine lives and help to heal the pain of children (and adults) in our community.
I chose the name Mea Ola’s Place because she is a true survivor. I would like this to be a place where survivors can connect, both human and equine. We would not be here today if it wasn’t for her and the hundreds of lives she touched here and around the world. This is no easy task or venture that I have taken on, and without the support, both moral and financial, of these people who walked those long months with her and I, there is no way I could keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Of the original 19 rescues, we helped one (Ryder) cross the rainbow bridge last November and have found forever homes for 10 others. We currently have possible interests for two others.
Please wish us a prosperous and healthy New Year for our herd of rescues. Feel free to contact me here through Facebook to meet any of them or to come for a day of “horse therapy.” We still need volunteers and people interested in helping us to be known in the new community we have moved to, the High Desert in Phelan, CA. We need others who share this vision and dream to come and be a part of today, as well as helping us move forward into the future.
DATE October 17, 2013
Mea Ola needs help! Today, I came home from work to find her more lame than she has ever been. Her left front is so tired from bearing too much of the weight. Both back legs are swollen. Dr Sam has agreed to come and see her all the way from Mission Viejo. We talked history and he told me to start her right away on Doxycycline, which I am. Also, wrapped all four legs with linament. He believes he can help her and will be here Saturday, however the price tag is steep. We have set up a fundraiser for this. We just don’t have an extra thousand to do this. He suspected it would cost $700-800, plus whatever prescription shoes, blood work and new xrays, call charge from 100 miles away, sedation, etc. because even the shape of her right foot has changed since the last ones. If anyone can help, I sure would appreciate it. There is no other choice but to try him. I have exhausted all other options.
If you can help, please click on the Donate button to the left, and thank you from the bottom of my heart.
DATE October 17, 2013 5:00 pm
This horse, Mea Ola, Survivor, was destined for something, I am sure of it. I just got off the phone with Dr. Wittlin (Sam). After reviewing xrays, video, and pictures I sent, he believes he knows what is going on. However, physical exam is what is needed to have his diagnosis in stone. There is good news and bad news.
Bad news first: This is serious and may require some extreme therapy and treatments. He believes that she is dealing with digital flexor contraction…not the kind that foals have when they are buckled over, but the kind that actually pulls the coffin bone upwards and why we see her so “down” in her pasterns and fetlock joints. The right is the worst, and he believes this is why she developed ringbone to start with. He spent over an hour explaining it to me, so forgive me for not being able to explain it all. Good news: 3 treatment options. Shock therapy first. Alcohol joint injections to speed up fusion (and because she is a brat, we would probably have to lay her down for those…under anesthesia, of course) and the $8000.00 surgery to fuse the joint faster…which is basically what was done to my neck. Regardless of the cost, I told him that I would not put her through that. There is one other injectable treatment that is still “experimental”.
The kicker is that he admitted to being “sucked in” by her story and is willing to help with his whole heart and mind and experience. He asked if he could use her as a case study for a presentation he has to give next May. The answer was, OF COURSE. I told him she was already famous, LOL.
I feel like I did those days when she was battling lamimitis and pregnant. So worried. So concerned. So afraid to lose her. I told him he was our last hope. I explained how many people love her and that we have to try whatever he recommends. Bad news: he agreed.
He will be here sometime Saturday afternoon. Time to set the prayers in motion, once again.
DATE October 18, 2013 10:56 am
Morning Mea Ola update: She is off her feed again due to ulcers from the meds, which makes it is difficult to medicate her. So, back to ulcer treatment and switching meds back to Previcox. Because we are at a critical point in this and her lameness, today we are doing a DMSO/Dex SP sweat on the right pastern and standing wrap for support on the left. I will update with pics later.
DATE October 19, 2013
I had to go in for an emergency surgery at work this morning and didn’t have a chance to post, but Sam will be here about 2pm. Mea Ola is feeling pretty good today…although mornings are usually better for her. I do think the sweat wrap helped some. I am really excited and nervous, too. We will take lots of pics and video. Also, the folks are still coming to see Rosie, but it will be next Thursday at 3pm. Also go a call from some folks we met at the Horseman’s Center that are coming out tomorrow to give us a $50 dollar donation and carrots!!!
DATE October 19, 2013 11:59 am
Dr Wittlin will be here around 2pm. Thank you, Kayla, Alex, Kendra, and Lynda for all of your help yesterday. Mea Ola is feeling pretty good today, still sore of course, but the sweat wrap really seemed to help some.
DATE October 19, 2013 8:00 pm
Update: No wonder Mea Ola is hurting!!!! She has lesions on the Superficial flexor branches, both medial and lateral….Enlargement and lesions in the oblique sesamoid ligaments, deep flexor tendon pain….along with her high rinboone!! Today was treatment number one to alleviate pain and assist healing. She also has special meds for sweat wraps to that right front pastern (different meds for the front and back every day). Next treatment in one to two weeks. Thank you, Meaholics and DR Sam Wittlin. Thank you, Wendi, for the referral! Thank you to everyone that has donated. Today’s price tag: $1038.00!!! Two follow -ups for the tendons, ligaments (at about $560.00 each)….and on to the ringbone.
DATE October 20, 2013 2:30 pm
Mea Ola update: She is sore from the shockwave treatment today. It is more of a superficial soreness. She is bearing weight a little more on the right and the swelling has gone down a bunch in the left front. But, we were going to put the a special shoe on today and she is just too sore when we touch that leg (around her pastern), so Doc Sam said to wait a couple of days. She got a big kiss of support today from me and everyone who is here supporting us!
DATE October 22, 2013 8:32 am
Mea Ola is about the same this morning as yesterday morning. She was more sore last night. She does tend to be better in the mornings. I will sweat the front part of her pastern tonight, but am waiting for the meds to be delivered that I need to use on the back, and those should be here tomorrow.
DATE October 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Mea Ola update: She is pretty sore again today. The Surpass (meds) came in, so today we start that sweat. This is a hard, heart-wrenching road. The next couple of months will probably be up and down. But, we have to try! She deserves it. Mea Ola is one tough cookie!
DATE October 29, 2013
This morning Mea Ola was feeling so good that she was running around in her stall. I am hoping she didn`t hurt herself. She gets to feeling better and over-does it. I believe we will be doing her second shock-wave treatment Saturday and I am just waiting on the conformation from Dr. Sam.
DATE November 20, 2013 Noon
We will be doing more diagnostics on Mea Ola next week. It appears that her knee is now involved. Right now she is wearing standing wraps and is taking Previcox. She is a trooper and is enjoying her daily “extra” attention. I do not have to halter her for her wrap changes anymore at all.
DATE November 23, 2013
We have had ups and downs since treatment started, but she has really improved over the last few days. Now we just have to make sure she doesn’t over-do it since she feels better. She is walking better than she has in months. Thank you to everyone who donated to her medical fund! We spent that and a little more on diagnostics and treatments, as well as the medications for sweats (which continue). She also got special pastern boots and wraps for both legs. Next will be her special shoes….and we are hoping this forward progress continues!
Merlin spent his life as a succsesful show horse. Unfortunately, at the age of 20, he found himself slaughter-bound. He is such a joy to work with and is full of personality. He was shown in Country Pleasure, Western Pleasure, and as a driving horse. He is very decorated and, even 3 years ago, was still winning classes. He is a Registered Morgan gelding and stands 15 hands high. He is one of the ranch favorites and is beginner safe!
Sassy is maturing into a beauty! She should mature at 15.2 hands high and is currently about 14.1 hh. She is as smart as a whip and has learned walk, trot, canter, and whoa in the round pen. She still has about a year and a half until saddle training will start, but she will make an amazing jumper or Dressage horse. She is our beloved Sassypants and lives up to her name every day!
DonateTick the box that says "Make This Recurring" to have your donation automatically deducted monthly. We are a non-profit corporation (Federal tax exempt status pending)
Desert Mountain Veterinary
- Rick Schultz, Farrier
( 661) 713-3979 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J & K Feed and Pet Store
16361 Yucca Street
Hesperia, CA 92345